Friday, March 09, 2012

New Dining Room Lamp

From what I've gathered, every apartment in the 4 building complex that we live in has the same tacky dining room 'chandelier'. Here it is:

We probably weren't allowed to take it down, but Tristan did anyway. He gets major props for this project!

Terribly fuzzy/gross picture. Oops. Sorry about that! It gets the point across though (and I'm not about to rehang it for a better shot!). When we first moved in, I thought it was kind of charming. Clearly my tastes were questionable then, because it wasn't even a month later before it was driving me crazy! I ignored it until a a couple weeks ago, when I found myself continuously being mysteriously drawn to the hanging lamp aisles in home stores.. and, a few days ago, I found the perfect lamp at Homesense:

 

Well, almost perfect; it needed some tweaking. I had a vision of what I wanted, and this was pretty much the skeleton of it. I'm not sure if you can see the crystals hanging inside, so:


If I were single, maybe I would have left it as is, but I live with a boy, so they had to go (I kind of thought they cheapened it anyway). He says he doesn't mind whatever I do to the living room/dining room, but I really don't want this place to scream "single female in her twenties lives here!". Well to be fair it probably does already, but I'm trying to introduce more masculine influences into the space! Hence, the burlap-type fabric shade that replaced the crystals. I rigged it to hang inside (Tristan's hands of steel and some wire-cutters were a big help), and:


Perfection. What do you think?


Love, Jamie

2 comments:

Tova said...

Oooooh, love it! Now I'm going to go to HomeSense to see if I can find one.

Car said...

I absolutely love this Jamie! Your blog is wonderful, keep up the beautiful decorating!